“Kawaguchiko” may sound unfamiliar to those who have never visited Japan before. If you are planning on seeing Mount Fuji during your trip to Japan and you have a Japan Rail Pass then you should continue reading. Kawaguchiko is one of the most convenient and breathtaking locations to view world famous Mount Fuji. There are many different locations to capture memorable photos of Fuji, but Kawaguchiko is one of the most accessible locations from Tokyo to capture water reflections as you take photos. Kawaguchiko is the town and it surrounds Lake Kawaguchi, which is one of the renowned Fuji Five Lakes.
Typically, tourists try to head to the north shore of Lake Kawaguchi to get the best vantage point of Mount Fuji. Since a large number of tourists who visit Japan use the Japan Rail Pass, we figured that it would be convenient for our readers to know the cheapest way to get to Kawaguchiko using the rail pass from Tokyo based on our personal experience completing this journey. Since Kawaguchiko is located within the region of the “Fuji Five Lakes” be prepared for top notch scenery.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to get from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko (Mount Fuji) by train using the Japan Rail Pass.
1. Only specific trains in Tokyo are covered by the Japan Rail Pass. The circular JR Yamanote Line and the horizontal JR Chuo Line are both covered. Flash your Japan Rail Pass and use either one of these lines to get to Shinjuku Station (this component of your trip should be free of charge for rail pass holders).
Duration: Expect this to take up to a maximum of an hour if you are staying on the east side of Tokyo.
2. The next segment of the train ride from Tokyo to Kawaguchiko consists of travelling from Shinjuku Station to Otsuki Station. This train to Otsuki Station will typically be bound for Kofu or Matsumoto via platform #10 in Shinjuku Station. Otsuki station is just one of the stops along the way to one of these terminal destinations.
Duration: Roughly 1 hour.
Cost: Free for Japan Rail Pass holders (1320 yen if you don’t have a rail pass).
3. After you arrive at Otsuki Station you will have to transfer to a private train ride that is not covered by the JR Rail Pass in order to get to Kawaguchiko (for views of Mount Fuji). Therefore, make sure that you have some extra cash on hand. Purchase a ticket from the office at Otsuki Station for the Fujikyu Railway service and hop on the next departing train to Kawaguchiko.
Duration: 45 – 60 minutes depending on the service available when you arrive.
Cost: 1140 yen for the normal train (an additional 300 yen is charged for the faster train that takes 45 minutes (1440 yen total)).
4. Once you arrive at Kawaguchiko Station, Mount Fuji will be visible if it is clear outside. To get the best views you can either purchase a retro bus ticket or walk to the north shore of Lake Kawaguchi to get the best views of Mount Fuji. There are English signs throughout Kawaguchiko to assist you along the way.
Since Mount Fuji is often covered by clouds we recommend that you spend at least one night in the area to maximize your chances of seeing it. When we arrived the first day it was not visible due to cloud cover, but the next morning it was spectacular. To check out the hotels offering the best views of Fuji around Kawaguchi Lake click here. Use the comparison feature at the top of the page that makes it easy to see what works for your budget and preferences. Also, if you want more specific information about departure and arrival times refer to http://www.hyperdia.com/.
Where did we decide to stay in Kawaguchi-ko?
We had to conduct a bit of research before we determined where to stay in Kawaguchi-ko. Since we were on a strict budget we couldn’t afford some of the hotels with the nicest views from the Lake. Therefore, staying near the train station became our priority. We eventually opted to stay at the Kawaguchi-ko Station Inn. We don’t have a direct affiliation with this property, or any property in Japan. Therefore, our opinion of it is an unbiased one. It turned out to be a super nice budget choice. Very clean, quite low key with a common room in the basement. The onsen was a great treat and something that I didn’t expect at a budget place to stay. It took us about 10-15 minutes to walk to the lake from this property and only about 1 minute from the train station. At the time of writing it had an excellent score of 8.4/10 based on 503 verified customer reviews. We feel that is score is a very accurate representation of this property. If you want something a bit closer to the Lake, then please read the section below.
Find the Best Hotel Deals in Kawaguchi-ko, Mount Fuji Area
There are three hotel providers that we used when we were traveling throughout Japan and the Fuji region: www.agoda.com, www.hotelscombined.com and www.booking.com. All three of them offer a massive selection of rooms. Many of our readers visiting Japan book exclusively with Agoda or Booking.com. However, we saved lots of cash by using Hotelscombined because it can quickly compare the cheapest rooms in Japan from the world’s leading room providers. I have created links to their respective properties to save you some time:
Top Rated Properties on Kawaguchiko, Mount Fuji Based on Verified Guest Reviews
Important: Mobile Users must swipe from left to right to see entire table.
|Star/Budget Range||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 1||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 2||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 3|
|Agoda.com (Kawaguchiko, Mount Fuji)||Booking.com (Kawaguchiko, Mount Fuji)||Hotels.com (Kawaguchiko, Mount Fuji)|
|5 stars/Luxury||Fuji Onsenji Yumedono Ryokan – 9.1/10||Kozantei Ubuya – 9.2/10||Konansou – 9.0/10|
|4stars/Comfort||Shuhokaku Kogetsu – 9.3/10||Shuhokaku Kogetsu – 9.3/10||Fuji Onsenji Yumedono – 9.2/10|
|3 stars/Mid-range||Hotel Asafuji – 9.1/10||Hotel Asafuji – 9.3/10||Fuji Lake Hotel – 8.6/10|
|2 star/ Budget||Hostel Fujisan YOU – 9.5/10||Lake Villa Kawaguchiko – 9.7/10||K’s House Mt. Fuji – 9.0/10|
|1 star/ Strict Budget||Fujiyoshida Youth Hostel – 9.2/10||Hostel Mount Fuji – 9.5/10||***K’s House Fuji View – Hostel – 8.8/10|
|Compare all room prices near Mount Fuji using agoda.com||Compare all room prices near Mount Fuji using booking.com||Compare all room prices near Mount Fuji using hotels.com|
- Properties rated based on ‘overall’ review scores from each respective website’s verified guests.
- Minimum of 50 verified guest reviews required to be considered eligible for comparison.
- All star ratings and verified guest review scores are tallied at the time of writing, and therefore, are subject to change.
Alternatively, you can use the search box below to compare room prices in Kawaguchi-ko right away: