From one Thai beach paradise to the next – this is a fitting description if you make the journey from Phuket to Koh Phi Phi Don. Both islands in the Southern Gulf region of Thailand are arguably the most popular hotspots in the country. Phuket and Koh Phi Phi Don offer their prospective visitors stunning beaches and spectacular coastal scenery, but it’s important to point out that they give out different vibes. Phuket is bigger, more commercialized and more established with its large family-friendly hotels and resorts. Koh Phi Phi Don, although not lacking in accommodation and amenities, gives out a more secluded feel. It is a more simple, more exotic and stripped-down Thai beach destination. Koh Phi Phi is originally a backpacker destination, but it has been receiving more and more travelers of varying ages, backgrounds and preferences.
If you have the time, it would be interesting and not to mention delightful, to get to know both islands to make your own comparison. So go ahead and don’t hesitate to visit Koh Phi Phi Don from Phuket, and we assure you, you won’t regret it.
Here are the steps on how to get to Koh Phi Phi Don from Phuket:
Crossing the Andaman Sea by boat is the most common way to reach Koh Phi Phi Don from Phuket.
1. Check out important ferry schedule and information:
The ferry trip from Phuket to Koh Phi Phi takes about 2 hours. Some of the ferry companies to choose from include: PP Family, The Sea Angel, Andaman SeaWave Master.
Take note of the ferry schedule:
Phuket (Rassada Pier) to Koh Phi Phi Don (Tonsai Pier)
Morning Trip 1
Departing at 08:30 am
Morning Trip 2
Departing at 11:00 am – Take note that this schedule may only be available during high season (November to April)
Afternoon Trip 1
Departing at 1:30 pm (13:00)
Afternoon Trip 2
Departing at 3:00 pm (15:00)
Important: Although they follow the same ferry schedule, the Sea Angel ferry company has its own pier, so if you book with them, make sure you go to the Sea Angel Pier and NOT Rassada. Double check your ticket.
There are also ferries that go to Laem Tong Pier in Koh Phi Phi Don. This pier is on the north of the island, and is a farther destination. The schedule for this route:
Phuket (Rassada Pier) to Koh Phi Phi Don (Laem Tong Pier)
Morning Trip: 8:30 am (08:30)
Afternoon Trip: 1:30 pm (13:30)
Ferry schedules can change without sufficient notice depending on the tide and weather conditions.
2. Book your ferry ticket ahead of time.
* Booking 2-3 days before your trip is a great way to secure a spot especially during the peak season.
3. Purchase the ticket online or from your hotel, guesthouse or from a tour office or desk.
*All these establishments act as “middle men” for the ferry companies. So the ferry companies may have their set prices, but the “middle men” will ask for a higher amount due to commissions. It never hurts to ask around for prices before purchasing. Ticket prices are about 600 baht one way. You may get it cheaper if you book a roundtrip ticket.
4. Arrange transport to the RIGHT pier. You should be there at least an hour before the intended departure to get a good seat.
- If you have the extra cash, there are also special speedboat tours from Phuket to Koh Phi Phi and other surrounding attractions like famous Maya Bay, where the movie “The Beach” was filmed.
- Each tour company may present a slightly different itinerary. But most of them offer an all-inclusive package, which include hotel transfers, lunch and snorkelling. It would be best to book this speedboat tour with your hotel or a reputable tour office. Make sure you discuss the tour details like places to visit and duration of the visit with the agent, so you won’t have inaccurate expectations.
Tips and Reminders:
- Regularly check the boat schedules to Koh Phi Phi before or while you’re in Phuket. As mentioned before the times can change without sufficient notice depending on the tide and weather conditions. Even though you already book a ticket, it does not mean you will leave on time.
- If you purchase your ticket from a tour office or stall, be sure to get an official receipt and their information including their contact number. You will usually be informed if the schedule has changed, but it is good to expect changes as the sea can also be unpredictable.
Where did we stay on Koh Phi Phi?
Once we arrived on Koh Phi Phi we walked directly to our resort – P.P. Casita. We don’t have a direct affiliation with this property, therefore this is our honest opinion. Our overall stay there went well. Breakfast was good. Our room was clean. The resort itself is located in a great location (located close to the beaches, but far enough from the pulsating music at night. They have a nice pool for a small resort. Like most Phi Phi accommodation choices, you could definitely argue that it’s overpriced. But so are most choices on the island. At the time of writing it had a score of 7.4/10 based on 3500+ verified guest reviews. We would recommend this property if you want a nice little mid-range resort. If you want something super cheap or really luxurious, try something else.
How to find the best room deals on Koh Phi Phi Island?
Koh Phi Phi is jam packed with accommodation options, but it’s not as easy as expected to find quality rooms. Since the demand on Koh Phi Phi is always high due to the high tourist numbers, some places don’t keep up with the correct service standards and cleanliness unfortunately. Another issue you must consider before you book your room is the “pulsating” music at night. It can last to 3 or 4 in the morning. Therefore, it’s a must to use map tools prior to booking. When we visit Phi Phi we typically use one of these three sites: www.agoda.com, www.booking.com and www.hotelscombined.com.
Agoda is largely considered to be the best site for booking rooms in Thailand (with the largest selection), so we use it extensively. Many of our North American and European readers use booking.com exclusively because of their excellent cancellation policies (which come in handy if you are planning well in advance). Hotelscombined.com is awesome if you wan to shop around before you find a place to stay on Phi Phi because it is a price comparison site. As you probably guessed, our backpacking readers love www.hotelscombined.com.
To save you time, here are the:
Top Rated Properties on Koh Phi Phi
Based on Verified Guest Reviews
Important: Mobile Users must swipe from left to right to see entire table.
|Star/Budget Range||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 1||Guest Rating: Hotel Provider 2|
|Agoda (Koh Phi Phi)||Booking.com (Koh Phi Phi)|
|5 stars/Luxury||Zeavola Hotel – 8.7/10||Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort – 8.6/10|
|4 stars/Comfort||Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island – 8.4/10||Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island – 8.4/10|
|3 stars/Mid-range||MaMa Beach Residence – 8.2/10||P.P. Blue Sky Resort – 8.6/10|
|2 star/ Budget||P.P. Insula Hotel – 7.9/10||Panmanee Hotel – 8.4/10|
|1 star/ Strict Budget||Kitty Guesthouse – 7.7/10||Phi Phi Inn – 7.3/10|
|Compare all room prices on Koh Phi Phi using www.agoda.com||Compare all room prices on Koh Phi Phi using www.booking.com|
- Properties rated based on ‘overall’ review scores from each respective website’s verified guests.
- Minimum of 50 verified guest reviews required to be considered eligible for comparison.
- All star ratings and verified guest review scores are tallied at the time of writing, and therefore, are subject to change.
Accommodation Map of Koh Phi Phi: Top Rated Properties
Read More Articles About Koh Phi Phi
- 5 Excellent Reasons to Visit Koh Phi Phi Don, Thailand
- Experiencing Koh Phi Phi Viewpoint
- How to Get Around Phuket, Thailand
- How to Get from Koh Lanta to Koh Phi Phi
- How to Get from Krabi Airport to Koh Phi Phi?
- How to Get from Phuket Airport to Patong and Karon Beach
- How to Get to Long Beach Koh Phi Phi
- How to Go Island Hopping within the Koh Phi Phi Archipelago
- Karon Beach, Phuket, Thailand
- Patong’s Electric Bangla Road
- Should You Visit Maya Bay?
- Top Hotels on Koh Phi Phi
- Top Things To Do on Koh Phi Phi Other Than Sunbathing and Partying
- What You Need to Know Before Traveling to Koh Phi Phi, Thailand
- Which Koh Phi Phi Beach Should You Stay On?