In order to avoid the needless headaches and unanticipated transport delays we want to help you secure seamless transport connectivity between the always impressive tourist areas found in Krabi Province, Thailand. Two of these locations are undoubtedly Koh Phi Phi and Ao Nang. Dotted with stunning limestone karst formations, the ferry ride from Koh Phi Phi to Ao Nang is sure to impress even the most seasoned travelers. The steps below outline how to get from Koh Phi Phi to Ao Nang via ferry.
1. Purchase a ferry ticket from one of the various travel agencies on Koh Phi Phi Don. The price will vary depending on where you buy it from, but it should range from 350-400 baht ($10.60-$12.10 US). As of the time of writing, there was a daily ferry departing from Koh Phi Phi to Ao Nang at 3:30 pm.
2. Proceed to Koh Phi Phi pier 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. If the ferry is already docked and waiting, the staff will allow you to board the ferry and select your seats.
3. Nearing the end of the 2-hour ferry ride, they will make a stop at Railay Beach (before Ao Nang) in order to drop off some of the passengers on board. When the long tail boats travel out from the beach to pick up these passengers remain on the ferry at this point in time if you wish to go to Ao Nang.
4. The ferry will travel past Ao Nang beach to a pier located about 10-15 minutes away from the town proper. Once you arrive at the pier, get off the ferry and immediately proceed to one of the shuttle buses waiting in the parking area. The ferry staff and ground transport staff will ask you what hotel or guest house you are staying at. This is because they will do their best to drop you off right at your selected accommodation. The price of this shuttle is included in the price of the original ferry ticket purchased on Koh Phi Phi. If you prefer to get a taxi, there will be some waiting there as well.
5. Depending on where your guest house or hotel is located, the shuttle should take around 15 minutes to reach Ao Nang.
6. The total trip time from Koh Phi Phi to Ao Nang should take approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes.
How did we find the best room deals on Koh Phi Phi and in Ao Nang?
Both Koh Phi Phi and Ao Nang have a large selection of rooms to suit all budgets. The main concern on Koh Phi Phi is finding a room away from the pulsating music at night. The strategically located places often sell out early. Ao Nang, is not nearly as loud, but many of the rooms are located quite far from the beach area. Therefore, before booking your room at either destination use a map tool to see exactly where the place is located. We have been to both Phi Phi and Ao Nang on multiple occasions. Each time we have used one of the following room providers:
This is the most popular accommodation site in Thailand. Therefore, expect to find the largest range of rooms on Koh Phi Phi and in Ao Nang. There is no site that we have used more in this region of Thailand than www.agoda.com. Here are links to the properties on Phi Phi and in Ao Nang respectively:
If you’re like many of our readers who are visiting Thailand from the West then the superb cancellation policies and customer service that you will get from www.booking.com might be worth looking into. Here are links to the properties on Phi Phi and in Ao Nang respectively:
This is our favourite price comparison site for room bookings in Thailand (and the rest of Southeast Asia). Within seconds you can find the best deals without having to jump from site to site. This is a solid choice if you want to travel on a budget while on Phi Phi or when you’re heading to Ao Nang. Here are links to both Phi Phi and Ao Nang below: